Address: 33210 Preignac
Telephone: +33 (0)5 56 63 61 90
Château Suduiraut produces very impressive Sauternes. This premier cru is owned by AXA Millésimes. The managing director is Christian Seely and the technical director Pierre Montégut. Often Suduiraut stands out as one of the most impressive wines of the region when tasted next to its peers. The 2009 and 2010 vintages are outstanding and 2013 would appear to be in a similar league. Christian Seely has an excellent blog which you can find here.
Vineyard/Terrior: 92 hectares planted on sand and gravel with 90% Sémillon and 10% Sauvignon Blanc.
Winemaking/Elévage: Aged in oak for 18-24 months, 50% of which are new.
- 2013 Pale straw; waxy with some citrus and grapefruit notes; full palate with sweetness and complexity; lots going on; quite fat and richly styled; refreshing finish. [92% Sémillon, 8% Sauvignon Blanc]. Tasted UGCB 1/4/14. Drink 2017-2028. 92-94+
- 2011 Deep gold; vibrant looking; peaches and honey on the nose; botrytis notes; ginger spice; very attractive; creamy but acidity keeps the palate lively and has excellent length. Drink now-2026. Tasted Oct ’13 at UGCB. 93+ [Earlier note] Pale golden straw; quite brilliant in the glass; nice botrytis; cream and fine; full bodied, nice crisp quality; good acid; this is very good. Lovely length. Tasted April ’12 at UGCB. 92-94+
- 2010 Deep gold; lees notes, some wet wool, apricot and creamy botrytis; thick and dense on the palate; oodles of botrytis here; thick and quite sweet but there is lovely acid that gives life. Wonderfully attractive. Tasted Oct ’12 at UGCB 95 [Earlier note] Pale gold; fresh and honeyed; very clean, some floral tones; palate mid-weight; very elegant but also acid to balance. Feels very fine. 90-92+/100 Tasted 5 April 2011 UGC.
- 2009 Gold; honey; quite thick and full; creamy; lots of depth and weight to the palate; full and creamy; very impressive indeed. Tasted June ’13 at Mouton 1855 dinner Vinexpo. 94+ [Earlier note] Again fresh and attractive; some lemon hints; with butterscotch and cream; palate bold and big; this is potentially excellent. Nice zip and balance to the sweetness. Wonderful. 92-94+/100
- 2008 Elegant mid gold; some butterscotch and cream; this feels right! Some toasty brioche notes; quite rich and ripe yet manages elegance and finesse. Feels one of the best here. Tasted Nov ’12 at MW Institute. 92+
- 2007 Pale straw; tight on the nose; lemon peel and citrus zest; botrytis and creamy tones; palate sweet and full. Tasted Nov ’11 at MW Institute. 91/100
- 1990 Amber and developed, all crème brulee and toffee. Excellent. Tasted Oct ’07. 90/100
- 1976 Deep golden; crème bruless nose, roasted brown sugar; palate medium sweet; some botrytis; burnt sugar flavours. Little short on finish; drying at end just a little. Good to very good. Tasted Aug ’02. 90/100