Address: 33500 Pomerol
Telephone: +33 (0)5 57 51 21 08
Château Petit-Village is a high performing Pomerol estate gets its name from the little village of winery buildings and out houses that form the estate. The property is owned by AXA Millesimes and Christian Seely is the managing director here [he also runs Château Pichon Longueville in Pauillac]. The technical director is Serge Ley.
Vineyard/Terroir: 11 hectares in a single triangular plot on clay gravel planted with 75% Merlot, 17% Cabernet Sauvignon and 8% Cabernet Franc.
Winemaking/Elevage: Aged in barrel for 15 months
- 2015 Glossy colour; purple entry at edge; little reticent at first; opens up; sweet black cherry; some Cab freshness; nice and moreish; attractive; nice palate; opens up and some real beauty here; nice sap at end; lacks a bit of acidity but works with very good length. Excellent Petit-Village. [70% Merlot, 20% Cabernet Franc, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon, 14.7% alc]. Tasted UGCB 6/4/16. Drink 2020-2030. 91-93+
- 2014 Deep core; earthy purple at edge; some chocolate; depth apparent but sample a bit dumb; nice palate; well handled fruit; layered and composed; fresh and very Bordeaux. Like this. [72% Merlot, 16% Cabernet Franc, 12% Cabernet Sauvignon]. Tasted UGCB 1st April ’15. Drink 2020-2030. 90-92+
- 2013 Deeper than some; ripe fruit; redcurrants and raspberry tones; nice tight seam of focused fruit; palate has extract and a little dry at the back; feels a little extracted and chewy; bit disjointed currently. Lacks generosity. Chewy Petit-Village. [70% Merlot, 20% Cabernet Franc, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon]. Drink 2018-2025. Tasted UGCB April 2, 2014. 86-88
- 2012 Deep and saturated look; intense aromatics; plums and fruit cake spices; very attractive; full palate with similar and very attractive fruit profiles; this is full and easy going Pomerol that maybe lacks a little density but which is forward and delicious. Drink 2015-2025. 91+ UGC Oct ’14 [Earlier note] Mid depth, very nice lift, blackcurrants, cream and attractive layers to the nose; very mannered palate and pretty serious effort [compared with the flamboyance here in ‘09/’10]. Pretty serious effort on the palate; density and lots of fruit and structure. Quite tight and tannic at the back. They are comparing things here to 2001 and 2004. 80% Merlot, 14% Cabernet Franc, 6% Cabernet Franc. 91-93+ Tasted at UGC 10 April 2013
- 2011 Deep-ish; sweet and ripe aromas; spicy plums; spicy and ripe palate; structured but with good length. Good effort. Drink 2016-2026. 88+ UGC Oct ’13 [Earlier note] Mid depth, purple at edge; nice satiny fruit, not pushed; plums and spice here but real seduction; floral notes along with a little sappy note; nice entry on the palate, elegance not pushed; fruit, sappy with nice acid. Grippy end. 72% Merlot, 23% Cabernet Franc and 5% Cabernet Sauvignon. Tasted UGC 4/4/12. 91-93+ April 2012
- 2010 Deep and saturated; lifted sexy plum and spice notes with resin; creamy palate very nicely done; plums, spices and an attractive undergrowth element; really nice fruit here; quite substantial on the palate but remains open and forward. Attractive, sexy Pomerol. Drink now-2030. 93+ MW Institute Nov ’14 [Earlier note] Deep and ripe looking; satiny, lifted red fruits; very sexy and forward; seductive; nice fresh palate with lift but that somehow [given the saturated forward fruit] doesn’t feel overdone. Grip and freshness here; more evident structure on the palate than ‘09’s beauty here. Acid gives the wine a positive finish. Excellent. 94+ UGC Oct 2012 [Earlier] Deep, dense and saturated; lovely smoky minerality, real depth on the nose; some camphor and iodine; strong and well done; ripe seductive and full of flavour; really good structure, chewy but with lots of extract and tannin. Terrific length and depth. Lovely 94-96+/100 Tasted 6 April 2011 at UGC
- 2009 Deep and saturated; lifted and silky on the nose with earthy plum tones alongside soft Cabernet Franc notes; cereal and cream; some chew on the finish but lots of depth. Needs five years and has closed up a little since bottling. Drink 2017-2030. 93+ MW Institute Nov ’13 [Earlier note] Mid depth, dark at core; not the densest; super ripe nose; very attractive; some jam but not loose; some lifted Cab Franc elements; sweet and some spices with plums; palate very full and ripe; lots of extract but also softness. Really very good. Coffee and mocha at the back. Tannins ripe. Well done. 92-94+/100 [75% Merlot, 17% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Cabernet Franc]. Tasted 31st March 2010.
- 2008 Deep and saturated; sexy and sweet nose; lush and ripe; similarly lush and ripe on the palate. Good effort. 91+ MW Institute Nov ’12 [Earlier] Mid red; some depth; some leafy lift on the nose [Cabernet Franc?], some chocolate too; palate has intensity and extract; concentration with good length. Good wine. 88/100 UGC Oct 2010
- 2007 Mid red; attractive nose of truffles, violets; perfumed and precociously attractive; some tarry notes too; good concentration on the palate; finishes quite light but nicely perfumed and attractive wine. Fine. 90+/100 MW Institute Nov ’11.
- 2006 Deep red; dark at core; rich nose; quite Christmas pudding like, tar, truffles, spices; very attractive; ripe soft palate, intense, some inky notes; lots of extraction with dry tannins on the end. Quite bold and extracted. Pushed a bit too far? Could be excellent but dry tannins on the end. 90?/100 MW Institute Nov ’10.