Address: 33460 Cussac-Fort -Medoc
Telephone: +33 (0)5 56 58 92 29
Located between the Margaux and St Julien appellations Château Beaumont is a beautiful chateau built in 1854 with charming wines to match. The estate belongs to Grandes Millesimes de France which also runs Château Beychevelle. They clearly have an eye for architecturally stunning Châteaux. Beaumont has recently seen new investment in the vineyards and cellars. Consulting oenologist is Jacques Boissenot. The 2009 was wonderfully soft and lush when tasted en primeur. Good value wines here.
Vineyard/Terroir: 114 hectares in one block on guntz gravel and sand, 53% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Merlot, 4% Cabernet Franc and 3% Petit Verdot. Sustainable agricultural methods adopted in the vineyards.
Winemaking/Elevage: 12-14 months in oak, one third new.
- 2015 Deep and saturated look; purple at edge; creamy blackcurrant fruit; very Bordeaux; lots of juicy fruit; plums and black cherry tones; soft and attractive palate; not forced; nicely harmonious; some chocolate on the finish; good effort. [50% Cabernet Sauvignon, 47% Merlot, 3% Petit Verdot, 30% new oak, 13.5% alc, harvest 17/9-8/10]. Drink 2020-2028. Tasted UGCB 5/4/16. 87-89+
- 2014 Mid depth; dark core; purple at edge; fresh; ripe; blackcurrant fruits; spices; and ripe; more matter on the palate; but nice structure; matter and grip; acidity and vibrant. 47% Cabernet Sauvignon, 45% Merlot, 8% Petit Verdot. 25/9-14/10 harvest dates. 30% new oak. Drink 2019-2028. Tasted UGCB 31 March, 2015. 86-88 [Earlier note] Deep at centre; sappy and vigorous aromatics; bright black cherry and blackcurrant aromas; freshness is wonderful; sappy and lively on the palate; vital. Great example of the life and joy you can get from Bordeaux in a year like 2014. Drink 2018-2025. Tasted 2 April, 15 Cru Bourgeois tasting at d’Arsac. 86-88+
- 2013 Deep-ish core; vibrant purple at edge; spices, some plums and bubblegum notes; sweet initially but then the sap and acidity; still not too sappy and should settle. [55% Cabernet Sauvignon, 43% Merlot, 2% Petit Verdot, harvested 30/9-4/10 30% new oak]. Drink 2017-2023. Tasted UGCB April 2014. 84-86
- 2012 Deep and dense looking, vibrant edge; slightly spicy fruit with some vibrancy and bounce; creamy entry on the palate; attractive Cabernet Fruit; some tannin at the back but also freshness. Simple but clean and fresh. UGC Tuesday April 9, 2013 86-88
- 2011 Mid depth; little feral note; some blackcurrants; fresh palate with vibrant acid but quite compact overall. Drink 2014-2021. 84 UGC Oct ’13 [Earlier note] Deep and saturated; black cherry with fresh lift – almost Morgon or Moulin a Vent in style – sour cherry accent and blackcurrants on palate; pure; nicely done; there is acid here and tannic grip but has life and bite. Not bad effort. 52% Cabernet Sauvignon, 45% Merlot, 3% Petit Verdot harvested 13-27 September. Tasted UGC Apr ‘12. 86-88
- 2010 Deep and saturated; more spikey fruit, stalky blackcurrant flavours; chewy and quite grippy on the palate. Lots of acid and sap here. Grippy. 86/100 [Earlier] Deep and concentrated looking, fraction lighter at the core than some of the others; little reductive element, fresh cab and some stalks; quite grippy and high toned; needs to settle. Bit disjointed at present – all acid, tannin and extract. If settles 85-87/100 Tasted 5 April 2011 at UGC. [Second tasting] Deep and dense; thick, some strawberry and real ripeness, some fruit here and chew; tannic and grippy palate but bright in fruit. More settled. 86-88/100 Tasted 7 April 2011 at UGC
- 2009 Mid red; fresh, almost maceration carbonique tones; vibrant certainly; more Moulin a Vent or Morgon! Palate chewy and deep – like this; youthful, vigorous yet fruity style that will be drinking wonderfully from the off. Fresh and fruity. 88+/100 [Earlier] Dark and deep, ripe Cabernet nose, slightly stalky; fresh; soft and sweet palate; attractive; perfume – ripe and attractive. Very good. 55% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Merlot and 5% Petit Verdot. 88+/100 Tasted 30th March 2010
- 2007 Mid red; some round notes; blackcurrants; quite light but round and attractive. 84/100 May ‘10
- 2004 Mid red; some chocolate; palate has some earthy blackcurrant characters and substance. 85/100 May ‘10