Address: 33270 Barsac
Telephone: +33 (0)5 56 27 16 16
This second growth Sauternes has been quite a forward wine in my experience and quite rich. Only 15,000 bottles produced on average. Second wine Esquisse de Nairac.
Vineyard/Terrior: 16 hectares on siliceous gravel and clay with a limestone and clay-limestone subsoil. Vineyard comprises 90% Semillon, 6% Sauvignon and 4% Muscadelle.
Winemaking/Elévage: Aged in barrel for between 24 and 30 months.
- 2013 Pale green/gold; full; waxy; butterscotch notes; some white flower highlights and honey; quite zappy palate with nice acidity; not heavy or overly sweet [at least in balance with the acidity] but attractive and refreshing. Tasted UGCB 1/4/14. Drink 2017-2025. 90-91+
- 2012 Pale straw; white wine nose; sauvignon and citrus notes; has zap and zest but little sweetness; gooseberry citrus qualities remain. UGC April 11, 2013. 85-86
- 2011 Green gold; apricots, peaches and cream on the nose; botrytis notes; creamy palate with apricots and ginger spice; very full, forward and attractive; has weight and sweetness; maybe lacks a little acid but nicely forward and lush. Drink now-2026. Tasted Oct ’13 UGCB. 91 [Earlier note] Pale gold; green hints; creamy, buttery nose; lots of botrytis here alongside citrus notes; very attractive nose; crisp palate, some apple and lots of flavour and race; this is exceptional Nairac. Wow. Tasted April ’11 at UGCB. 92-94+
- 2010 Gold; lush nose; honey, apricot and thick with fruit; definied palate with sweetness which is very well balanced by fresh acid. Very forward and open style which works wonderfully. Very successful for Nairac. Tasted Oct ’12 at UGCB. 91+ [Earlier note] Pale gold; butterscotch, wax; full on the nose; positive palate with some candy, butterscotch, heather honey. Nice wine 89-91/100 Tasted 5 April 2011 UGC.
- 2009 Pale gold, more intense, some butterscotch and waxy edge with grass; racy on the palate, medium sweet. Very good here. UGCB Oct ’11. 90+/100
- 2008 Mid gold; semillon and lanolin waxy notes; quite full bodied palate; mid weight. Goodish. Nov ’12 at MW Institute. 87
- 2007 Golden; fine; some volatility; mature perhaps a little tired; elegant palate with butterscotch notes and smoky finish. OK. Tasted June ’13 at Mouton 1855 dinner Vinexpo. 87 [Earlier note] Pale straw; more butterscotch notes; quite forward and rich. Pretty good. Oct ’09 UGCB 88+/100