Address: 33250 St Julien
Telephone: +33 (0) 5 56 59 08 18
Château Gloria was created in the 1940s by Henri Martin out of vineyards pieced together from other St Julien classed growths and hence wasn’t included in the 1855 classification. Reliable, reasonably priced St Julien, which is attractive and forward, it is a little akin to Beychevelle but often better. Château Gloria is really worth considering in good vintages because of the good price-quality ratio. Clearly of classed growth quality this wine is flattering and delicious to drink young. The 2009 is a real sensation here. Second wine Château Peymartin.
Vineyard/Terroir: 45 hectares planted with 65% Cabernet Sauvignon, 25% Merlot, 5% Cabernet Franc, 5% Petit Verdot
Winemaking/Elévage: Temperature controlled fermentation and ageing in barrel for 14 months, approximately a third of which are new.
- 2015 Deep and saturated look; dark at centre; earthy purple at edge; little reductive at first but fresh and bright fruit beneath; opens up in the glass; enjoyable fruit on the palate; nice purity; black cherry and summer compote fruit notes; joyful St Julien. Plenty of fruit and depth overall. Grip on the finish. [60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 27% Merlot, 7% Petit Verdot, 6% Cabernet Franc, 40% new oak]. Drink 2022-2030. 90-92+
- 2014 Deep and darkly coloured; fresh and vivid earthy purple at edge; equally vivid blackcurrant fruit; lift; cassis; vibrant and vivid St Julien; real joie de vivre here in Gloria; caressing blackcurrant fruit with some ripe black cherry notes; lashings of fruit here; velvety palate; Excellent effort from this joyful St Julien. 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 30% Merlot, 4% Cabernet Franc, 6% Petit Verdot. 45% new oak. Drink 2019-2030. Tasted UGC 31 March, 2015. 90-92+
- 2013 Deepish- vibrant edge; very fresh and brightly flavoured; some bubblegum and blackcurrant tones; fresh and vivid; cool blackcurrant flavours on the palate; pretty strong acid here gives a rather grippy/sappy finish. [68% Cabernet Sauvignon, 23% Merlot, 5% Petit Verdot, 4% Cabernet Franc 45% new oak]. Tasted UGC 1/4/14. Drink 2018-2023. 86-88
- 2012 Mid depth; easy, sexy and open style; attractive and forward aromatics; satin and spice on the palate; medium bodied with blackcurrant and spice tones; soft tannins. Very enjoyable and open St Julien from this good value estate. Drink 2016-2025. 89+ UGC Oct ’14 [Earlier note] Deep and dark at centre; fresh blackcurrants; clean; some spice; fresh and grippy palate but with chew and density; tannic and dry on the finish. Lots of extract and material so should come good. 87-89 Tasted UGC Thursday 11, 2013 [Earlier note – slightly better] Deep and saturated; looks enticing; lots of fresh blackcurrant fruit and spices; some cherry; lots of fruit evident on the nose; lots of fruit and purity; chew also. Chewy with plenty of extract. Should settle nicely. 63% Cabernet Sauvignon, 27% Merlot, 5% Cabernet Franc and 5% Petit Verdot Tasted UGC Tuesday April 9, 2013. 88-90.
- 2011 Nice depth of colour; some leafy Cabernet tones; pure and attractive palate; chewy but good blackcurrant fruit; grippy finish and chew to the tannins. Good effort though. Drink 2016-2026. 88 UGC Oct ’13 [Earlier note] Deep and arterial; loads of blackcurrant fruit on the nose, some spice; lots of depth, cassis as well as some stalky Cab qualities – these will round out during élevage; little tightness on the palate but waves of blackcurrant fruit; density. Bite on the finish. Grippier than last few vintages. Tasted twice at UGC. 88-90 Apr ’12 UGC primeur tasting
- 2010 Deep and saturated looking; pretty cassis and blackcurrant nose; plums and spices too; very cool and fresh fruit tones; structure to the palate; nice acid and grip; plenty of flesh on the bones. Has filled out nicely. Good length. 91+/100 UGC Oct ’12 [Earlier] Deep and dense; attractive nose, nice cassis and blackcurrants; some layers; some Cabernet freshness; grip and flesh. Pretty good 87-89/100 Tasted 5 April 2010 at UGC. [Second tasting] Deep and dense; lots of blackcurrant cassis, real fruit and quite voluptuous and full; lots of ripeness; some stalky Cabernet notes; quite blackcurrant fruit on the palate; chewy palate, bit chunky finish– will probably round out 88-90/100 Tasted 7 April 2011 at UGC
- 2009 Deep and dense; very, very pretty on the nose; seductive; blackcurrants, earth and some roasted coffee bean notes; blackcurrants, lead and tobacco on the palate; quite forward and delicious; vibrant wine that is precocious and an absolute delight already. Chew on the finish suggests this will last well but it’s already a beauty. Buy in spades if not done so. Great wine. 93+/100 UGC Oct ’11 [Earlier] Deep saturated colour and purple at the rim; fabulously ripe, sweet nose; roses, red fruits and very attractive; palate very dense but supple and ripe; very pure with a little wood tannin present now but overall a very pretty and perfumed palate; grip and acid too. Density and chew here with real length and class. 90-92+/100 Tasted at Gloria Nov ’10.
- 2008 Mid red, some purple at edge; quite fresh with strawberries and redcurrants, stones and minerals; with tobacco and coffee bean notes too; good life and acid on the palate; grip and flesh here, structured wine on the grippy side with acid and tannin. Needs five years but good and with good length 88-90/100 MW Institute Nov ’12.
- 2007 Mid red, some depth; very flattering nose, fruit, roses and blackcurrants, some green coffee beans, some tobacco, good layers, still a little pent up; elegant and harmonious, slightly leafy note arrived later; harmonious with some coffee/mocha notes at the back; balancing acid and soft. Finishes a little short but not that bad considering the vintage. 86/100 Tasted at Gloria Nov ’10.
- 2005 Black red; saturated; legs; elegant nose; some smoke and blackcurrant but a little dumb; opened out a little but palate tight; intense and some concentration but closed. Good. 88+/100 Dec ‘09
- 2001 Mid red-black, attractive St Julien nose of tobacco, tar and earth, opened out very well – nicely made wine, medium bodied format; elegant but with complexity and class. 87/100 Nov ‘06