Address: 33180 St Estèphe
Telephone: +33 (0)5 56 77 11 50
Château Le Crock is owned by the Cuvelier family of Château Léoville-Poyferré in St Julien. Generally this is big, black and extracted St Estèphe, a strong and full wine that needs time in bottle to show its best. 2009 is terrific and 2010 equally promising, if totally different in style.
Vineyard/Terroir: 30 hectares planted with 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 27% Merlot, 13% Cabernet Franc.
Winemaking/Elévage: Temperature controlled fermentation and maceration in stainless steel and concrete tanks followed by 18-20 months in oak, a third new each year.
- 2015 Mid depth; earthy at edge; nice perfume; some stone fruits; attractive; quite pretty and floral later; nice structure and material; elegantly put together; lots of matter but nicely balanced with fine finish. Very nicely done. 50% Cabernet Sauvignon, 31% Merlot, 12% Cabernet Franc, 7% Petit Verdot, IPT 71, TA 3.5, pH 3.62, 13.5% alc, 44lh/ha.] Drink 2019-2027. Tasted 4/4/16 at Leoville-Poyferre. 86-88. [Second tasting] Deep and saturated colour; sturdy and well made. Drink 2019-2025. Tasted Cru Bourgeois 7/4/16. 85-87
- 2014 Dark saturated look; tight at centre; purple at edge; wonderfully pure fruit; mineral tones; blackcurrant notes; spices; black cherry fruit; elegance but also precision; little wet rock note; tannins nicely handled; ripe tannins and elegant finish. Very mannered St Estephe. [50% Cabernet Sauvignon, 39% Merlot, 8% Petit Verdot, 3% Cabernet Franc, IPT 83, TA 3.60, pH 3.70, 13.81% alc, 39 hl/ha] Drink 2019-2026 Tasted at Léoville-Poyferré 30 March, 2015. 89-91+ [additional note] Deep and saturated colour; textured; wet rock; minerals; taut; some freshness; cream; composed and polished on the palate; nice fruit; nicely textured and measured St Estephe. Tannic but has good length. Drink 2022-2030. Tasted at Cru Bourgeois event at d’Arsac, 2 April, 2015. 89-91+
- 2013 Good depth; vibrant edge; attractive cassis and blackcurrant fruit; nicely integrated and polished; perfume; layered and sturdy in feel; polished palate, lacks some intensity of a great year and a little loose perhaps on the finish but good substance and extract. All the elements [53% Cabernet Sauvignon, 36% Merlot, 7% Petit Verdot, 4% Cabernet Franc, 13.1% alc, TA 3.95, pH 3.57 34hl/ha, IPT 69, 25% new oak]. Drink 2017-2028. 85-87 [Second note] Mid depth; quite composed; some oak; tight; ripe fruit beneath; inky palate but good fruit; quite firm and sappy; fraction hardness on the end but should fill out. Drink 2017-2025. Tasted 3/4/14 Cru Bourgeois tasting at Chateau d’Arsac. 85-87
- 2012 Mid depth; nice polished colour; focus to the nose; layers and precision; very mannered; nice black fruits; some minerality; firmish palate with fine tannin. Little on the lean side though should fill out. Very nicely done. 50% Cabernet Sauvignon, 37% Merlot, 8% Petit Verdot, 5% Cabernet Franc. IPT 79, Acidity 3.35 pH 3.83. 13.3% alc. Tasted Monday April 8, 2013 at Chateau Léoville-Poyferré. 87-89+ Drink 2018-2025
- 2011 Mid depth; deep centre; legs; mineral purity, cassis, some plum; focused palate and quite a bit of grip and texture. Feels a bit stern though made with the usual Cuvelier precision and dedication, owners of Chateau Léoville-Poyferré. Tasted at Léoville-Poyferré 2/4/12 87-89 drink 2018-2025
- 2010 Deep and dense; brooding and deep; good core of fruit on the palate; pretty tannic finish. Needs time. Drink 2015-2025. 88 Vinexpo June ’13 [Earlier note] Deep and saturated colour; dense; some violet perfume, density behind, very ripe and precise; good density and structure, quite clean and fresh; good length and bite on the finish. Feels fresh. 88+/100 [47% Cabernet Sauvignon, 33% Merlot, 7% Petit Verdot 13% Cabernet Franc 14 alc and IPT 82] Tasted at Chateau Leoville Poyferre 4th April 2011.[2nd tasting] Deep and completely saturated; sturdy, slightly burnt notes; chocolate; fleshy palate with depth, some real life and freshness here, feels a little hard towards the end 85-87+/100 l’Alliance des Crus Bourgeois tasting 7th April 2011 Drink 2018-2030+
- 2009 Deep and healthy looking; great purity and focus; real depth and sophistication here. Very polished effort with real refinement; tannins wonderfully ripe. Extremely fine wine. Excellent value. Drink 2016-2030. 91+ Tasted Dec ’13 [Earlier note] Lots of legs, lots of minerals, rocks and red fruits; very pure, feels powerful and fresh; some coffee and mocha notes too; lots of extract and chew and material, extract and tannin; some chew and depth; strong wine with lots of meat, extract and tannin. Chewy, deep and concentrated. 90/100 Drink now-2030
- 2005 Mid red; earthy purple at edge; creamy cassis nose with ripe blackcurrants; ripe and concentrated palate; feels refined with coffee and mocha notes; nice grip and acid. Good finish. Fresh. 88+/100 Sept ‘09 Drink now-2020
- 2003: Deep saturated black, dense nose, some cream, blackcurrants, minerals; palate full and rich, lots of concentration, not complex but big and bold. Ripe tannins. Should age well. 89+/100 Nov ‘09 Drink now – 2025+