Address: 33330 St Emilion
Telephone: +33 (0)5 57 24 71 41
Very good wines here at Château Larmande. This estate that dates back to 1585, which makes it one of the oldest in the appellation. Claire Thomas-Chenard runs the estate. Second wine is Le Cadet de Larmande.
Vineyard/Terrior: 25 hectares on clay-limestone, clay-siliceous and sand planted with 65% Merlot, 30% Cabernet Franc, 5% Cabernet Sauvignon. Classified a St Emilion Grand Cru
Winemaking/Elevage: State of the art cellar in 2003. Aged for 15-18 months in 66% new and 33% one year old barrels.
- 2015 Deep and saturated look; earthy at rim; some raisin and jam on the nose; very ripe fruit; chewy and tannic on the palate; drying finish. Needs to settle. [65% Merlot, 30% Cabernet Franc, 5% Cabernet Sauvignon, 14% alc]. Drink 2020-2028. 86-89
- 2014 Mid depth; some purple at edge; ripe and spicy; earthy note; little compact and dry on the palate; dry on the finish too. Bit hard and disjointed on the day. Not sure where this is headed. [65% Merlot, 28% Cabernet Franc, 7% Cabernet Sauvignon]. Drink 2019-2025. Tasted UGC 1st April ’15. 83-86?
- 2013 Mid depth; some sweetness, spice, little menthol and black fruits; menthol and ink on the palate; quite compact and very masked but oak which makes for a puckering impression. Dry on end. Tasted April 2, 2014 UGC. 82-84
- 2012 Mid depth; spicy notes; some undergrowth and red fruit tones; mid weight palate with more delicacy and obviously spicy Cabernet tones; little astringency at the back. Well balanced if it feels a little modest. 65% Merlot, 30% Cabernet Franc, 5% Cabernet Sauvignon. 87-88 UGC Wednesday April 10, 2013
- 2011 Mid depth; looser at the rim than some; fresher style, some stalky blackcurrant and plum tones; spices too; briary, spicy palate and plummy some grip; leafy note too; chew and quite attractive. Tasted UGC. 87-89
- 2010 Thick and dark looking; spice, liquorice, dark fruits; some sexy notes; thick palate, lots of extract and chew; wood tannin also; very big scaled and chewy with some bite at the end. Very bold and big. Works. 90 [Earlier] Deep and saturated; very attractive nose, lush and layered, some smoke, floral qualities too; palate dense, nice extraction and chew; ripeness here. Very good. Sweet ripe fruit actually pretty tannic and concentrated. 90-92/100 [65% Merlot, 30% Cabernet Franc, 5% Cabernet Sauvignon] 6April 2011 UGC
- 2009 Deep red; ripe and sense; some clear red fruits but not at all overdone and not sublimated in feel; freshness; layered and intense on the palate; perfume here with a pretty quality; mocha and chocolate too. This is very good indeed and despite the obvious ripeness manages to remain vital. 93+/100 UGC Oct 11 [Earlier] Dense colour; interesting looking; creamy and attractive nose; lots of ripe fruits and quite intense and layered. Palate thick and rich but at least tannins [lots] feel ripe and soft here. Lots of extract and material. Potentially very interesting if it settles down. 90-92+/100
- 2008 Mid depth; lots of chocolate and mocha notes alongside ripe strawberry fruit, quite chunky in style and strong on the palate; good concentration, lush nice extract and chew without feeling overdone and huge tannins. Good. 88+/100 UGC Oct ‘10
- 2007 Mid red; sweet fruit; some plums and spice; attractive palate; some density; plums again lacks a little mid palate and finishes a little short. Not bad though in the vintage context. 86-88/100 UGC tasting Oct ‘09