Address: 33330 St Emilion
Telephone: +33 (0)5 57 74 62 06
Vineyard/Terrior: Château Cap de Mourlin has a 14 hectare vineyard on clay-limestone and sand with a hardpan subsoil planted with 65% Merlot, 25% Cabernet Franc and 10% Cabernet Sauvignon.
Winemaking/Elevage: 15-18 months in barrel with 50% new and 50% one year old.
- 2015 Deep and extracted looking; purple at edge; heady liquorice and strawberry fruits; not unattractive; little wet rocks too; soft entry on the palate; some marzipan; black fruits; spice; chewy finish; feels a little over extracted but will probably settle fine. Chewy finish. Drink 2020-2028. 87-89+
- 2014 Deep and saturated looking; dark core; vibrant edge; liquorice and black fruits; some tar; lift; very ripe and bold; palate a little hard at first; oak dominant; needs to settle more; nice ripe fruit promises much; little jam on the finish and rather chewy and extracted on the end. [65% Merlot, 25% Cabernet Franc, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon]. Drink 2019-2028. 5. Tasted UGC 1st April ’15. 85-87
- 2013 Deep and saturated look; some fig and black fruit tones – a little monolithic; some chocolate; quite hard palate with extract and some dryness here on the mid-palate which carries through to a rather dry and extracted finish. May settle. Tasted April 2, 2014 UGC. Drink 2016-2023. 83-85
- 2012 Mid depth; ripe and savoury elements on the nose; some jam but feels substantial; palate full with some structure and spicy fruit; chunky style with some chew to the tannins but plenty of depth to the fruit. Good effort. Drink now-2022. 88+ UGC Oct ’14 [Earlier note] Deep and dense; tight to edge; big and fat with some marzipan notes; pure if a little overdone; quite chunky fruit with chewy finish; little dry tannin and dry on the finish. Puckering. 82% Merlot, 14% Cabernet Franc 4% Cabernet Sauvignon 85-87? UGC Wednesday April 10, 2013
- 2011 Deep and saturated looking; creamy and ripe on the nose; some figgy tones and liquorice; ripe and initially easy but then the extract and tannin becomes overwhelming and finishes feeling very tannic and puckering. Not sure what’s going on here? Drink 2015-2021? 86? UGC Oct ’13 [Earlier note] Deep, tight to rim; legs; purple; some satin and marzipan notes and orange ripeness; lots of ripe Merlot notes; some mineral and chalky tones; good sweet entry, purity and some dry wood tannin but plenty of flesh. Goodish effort if a little chunky, but lots of fruit. Tasted UGC 4/4/12. 87-89
- 2010 Deep and saturated look; some red fruits, fig, lift; strawberry toned fruit on the palate; attractive and easy with lots of guts and material. Some spice and fig but sufficient life to make this work. 90 [Earlier] Very dense and saturated; nose very fatigued and heavy; similar raisin notes on the palate; feels tired and way over done. Not a good sample. 84?/100 6th April 2011 at UGC
- 2009 Deep looking; sweet and ripe, figs, molasses and hint of marzipan; thick and chewy with lots of tannin. Feels extracted and stewed and rather one-dimensional with a rather extracted finish. Drink now – 2025. 86 MW Institute Nov ’13 [Earlier note] Dense colour; soft ripeness here; dense; some marzipan and fig; very ripe; less impressive than the last two; also some stalkiness to the palate; quite chunky and extracted. Tannins very dry. Will this meld? Difficult to assess. 86?/100
- 2008 Mid red; some ripe strawberry and fig, quite ripe nose and open; soft figgy palate with some strawberry freshness. Quite soft and agreeable. 87/100 UGC Oct ‘10
- 2007 Dark black at centre; thick and resinous nose; blackcurrants and tar; thick palate with lots of density and chewy tannin. Feels a little tiring. 86/100 ‘11