Address: 33500 Pomerol
Telephone: +33 (0)5 57 51 78 96
Château Trotanoy has a fabulous reputation as a top flight Pomerol and is part of the Moueix stable.
Vineyards/Terroir: 7 hectares planted with 90% Merlot and 10% Cabernet Franc on soils [clay gravel and dark clay] very similar to those of stablemate Chateau Petrus on the Pomerol plateau.
Winemaking/Elévage: Temperature controlled fermentation and twenty months ageing in 40% oak barrels.
- 2015 Brighter at the edge; tight to rim; little reticent at first; apparent deep; violets, black cherry and ripe plum notes start to emerge; freshness; opens up gradually; powerful palate; sappy fruit; like the plums and the cherry notes; refreshing acids. Length on the back. Lovely balance and vitality. [93% Merlot, 7% Cabernet Franc, 7.2ha]. Drink 2020-2040. 95-97+
- 2014 Fresh at edge; purple and fresh looking; deep core; plummy; spices; some red fruits and satin; chalky and substantial; lots of minerality and sap; more wet rock elements than La Fleur-Pétrus; substantial; very moreish in terms of juicy fruit and acid impression; definitely bigger and more chew on the finish. Substantial and bold. Will doubtless reveal more down the track. Drink 2022-2035. 93-95+
- 2013 Deep colour; tight to the core; lovely creamy plum tones on the nose; nice and layered; depth here; creamy entry with black fruits and plums; very attractive palate. Sappy and positive finish. Very good effort. Drink 2018-2034. Tasted JP Moueix April 2, 2014. 91-93+
- 2012 Deep and saturated look; healthy and fresh; lots of blackcurrant fruit, black cherry and summer compote notes; freshness again; creamy palate with lots of black cherry and plum tones; very layered and lots of stuff going on; lots of sap and bounce here too. Very vivacious and pure. 100% Merlot. 94-96 [JP Moueix, Libourne, Weds April, 10, 2013]
- 2011 Deepish but not overdone; lovely fresh summer fruits; black cherry, blueberry; most appetizing; palate vibrant and elegant; harmonious; plums and violets; spicy; nice balance and chew; real harmony. Good length and zip. Very vibrant. Excellent. Tasted at JP Moueix 4/4/12. 93-95+ April 2012.
- 2010 Deep and saturated; chalky and a bit dumb in first sample; second more red fruits and lifted tones; full palate with plums, spices and some red fruit tones; loads of vibrant fruit on the palate; very full if a little reticent on the nose. Expect the best down the line. Drink 2018-2035. 94+ MW Institute Nov ’14.
- 2007 Dense, red [tight] to the edge; red fruits, quite lifted, some minerality too, some earth; sweet entry, ripe, some minerals, wet rocks; tannin here with some dryness but fruit envelops them. Certain elegance and not overdone. 90+/100 MW Institute Nov ’11.
- 1994 Deep black; sweet seductive oak; plums, full and concentrated; ripe sweet fruit; real concentration here; soft. Tannins fine. Balanced and intense. 92/100 Assemblage tasted at Chateau Petrus Oct ‘95