Address: 33500 Pomerol
Telephone: +33 (0)5 57 51 02 11
In the past Château La Pointe was generally seen as one of the good value Pomerols but rarely outstanding. Things seem to be changing if the 2009, 2010 and 2012 are anything to go by. They are excellent with real concentration and flavour. 2011 a great success in the vintage context too.
Vineyard/Terroir: 22 hectares on soils with a marl and iron oxide content with layers of sand and gravel. Château La Pointe is planted with 75% Merlot, 15% Cabernet Sauvignon and 10% Cabernet Franc.
Winemaking/Elévage: Matured in oak, 35% new each year.
- 2015 Deep looking; jam and strawberry lift; round and sexy; clean palate and fresh tones on the palate; texture and fruit on the palate; grip on the finish. Good effort from La Pointe. [84% Merlot, 16% Cabernet Franc, 14.2% alc]. Tasted UGCB 6/4/16. Drink 2020-2030. 90-92
- 2014 Deep and saturated colour; tight to edge; perfumed and fragrant; plenty of cherry fruit with some blackcurrants; fresh and attractive palate; quite plump; plenty of oomph on the palate; juicy style; plump and juicy. Bright acidity on the finish. Tasted UGCB 1st April ’15. Drink 2019-2028. 89-91+
- 2013 Deepish; vibrant purple at edge; clean and some perfume; little spicy fruit at the back; elegant; nice entry; some chew and material; grippy and quite gutsy. Little chewy. Needs to settle. [90% Merlot, 10% Cabernet Franc]. Drink 2018-2024. Tasted UGCB April 2, 2014. 85-87
- 2012 Mid depth; deepish at the core; juicy notes with some spices and red fruits; little jam; easy and attractive fruit on the palate; soft and spicy with delicacy; perhaps less depth than I remember at primeurs but still forward and attractive Pomerol. Drink 2015-2025. 89+ UGC Oct ’14 [Earlier note] Deep and dense; vibrant effort, ripe and full, pretty open; lots here, fatness but also tightness; dense palate with freshness and attractive Cab Franc influence. Lots of extract but nicely handled. Serious again and continues the run of good form for me at La Pointe. 90% Merlot and 10% Cabernet Franc. 91-93 Tasted UGC Wednesday 10 April 2013.
- 2011 Deep looking; full nose – spice plum tones and good depth; soft and caressing on the palate with clearly plenty of oomph; creamy blackcurrant and plummy fruit; nice and full. Great effort from this estate. Drink now – 2026. 89+ UGC Oct ’13 [Earlier note] Deep and attractive saturation without looking inky; plums and spice; feels good on the nose; attractive fruit and lots of it [cf La Croix de Gay] layers here, spices and depth and lots of plummy fruit; attractive qualities. Not overdone on the finish – really good effort. Good fruit and flavour and feels harmonious. 90-92+/100 April 2012
- 2010 Deep and dense; lots of seductive oak and black fruits; toasty; oak dominate; lots of extract and oak and fruit tannin; early days but feels disjointed. Lots of flesh though but rather too chewy and extracted. Needs to settle. 87-88?/100 Tasted 6
- 2009 Deep looking; lovely creamy blackcurrant fruit with nicely interwoven oak; unctuous and big on the palate but retains freshness; boat load of plumy fruit here with spicy tones. Wonderfully enjoyable already! Drink now – 2030. 93+ MW Institute Nov ’13 [Earlier note] Deep and dense; cream, fresh plums and vibrant fruit notes; wonderfully deep; palate deep too with lots and lots of plummy, blackcurrant notes and oak; this is a lovely wine and easily also the best La Pointe I’ve had. Terrific stuff on this showing. 93+/100 UGC 2011 [Earlier] Deep red purple; fresh nose; nice strawberry and fresh fruit nose; some oak; attractive and very polished. Palate thick and rich, not over tannic, some restraint here; lots of material but without that hard edge to the tannins so common in St Emilion. A very good effort. 90-92+/100 Tasted 31st March 2010 UGC primeurs tasting
- 2008 Some stones and minerals; quite earthy, some ripeness and fig; lots of oak on the palate with some tannin; there is fruit but a bit subdued; lacks a bit of fruit and oomph and feels a bit oaky and disjointed. 86/100 UGC Oct 2010
- 2007 Mid red; some development; soft attractive nose; quite simple; some vanilla tones at the back; soft. 84/100 UGC London tasting.