Address: 33 rue de Montaudon, Pomerol
Telephone: +33 (0)5 57 51 04 09
Château La Cabanne is a very old Pomerol estate that dates back to the 14th century. On the basis of the wines I’ve tried recently from this estate lacks a bit of finesse and feels fairly straightforward. That said Château La Cabanne has made interesting wine in 2012 and their 2013 can be considered a success for the vintage.
Vineyard/Terrior: 10 hectares on clay gravel soil planted with 92% Merlot and 8% Cabernet Franc.
Winemaking/Elevage: Temperature controlled fermentation [29-32C] followed by ageing in barrel, 60% of which are new.
- 2015 Mid depth; attractive fruit; clean; nice ripeness and good fruit qualities; easy and full on the palate with sweetness; not overworked in style and retains a sense of purity. Delicious. Best La Cabanne for years. [95% Merlot, 5% Cabernet Franc, 14.8%]. Tasted UGCB 6/4/16. Drink 2022-2028. 90-92+
- 2014 Deep and saturated colour; deep at centre; purple rim; fragrant lift; nice and juicy fruit; black cherry; depth; cool fruit and acidity; nice juice; some oak but not too present; plenty of flesh and some grip on the finish. Best La Cabanne in a while. [94% Merlot, 6% Cabernet Franc, 60% new oak, 40% one year old]. Tasted 1st April ’15. Drink 2020-2027. 88-90
- 2013 Deep colour; vibrant purple at edge; quite attractive fruit driven wine on the nose; some plums and spices and reasonable depth and saturation aromatically; fullish style; soft and fruit driven; vibrant and fresh. Nice grip. Good effort from La Cabanne. [98% Merlot, 2% Cabernet Franc]. Drink 2017-2024. Tasted UGCB April 2, 2014. 86-88
- 2012 Deep and saturated look; quite full and fat on the nose with plum and chocolate notes; full palate again; ripe and quite fat with plummy tones and a good finish. Good effort from La Cabanne. Drink 2015-2025. 88+ UGC Oct ’14 [Earlier note] Mid depth; some bounce and delicacy on the nose; pretty vibrant, not as ‘oh wow’ as Gazin, but good effort for Cabanne; some perfume, bounce and rounded palate which has been well handled in the cellar. This works. 100% Merlot. 87-89 UGC April ’13.
- 2011 2011 Deepish; spice and inky intensity; chewy palate with blackcurrant fruit; sap and acid evident. OK if unexciting. Drink 2015-2021 86 UGC Oct ’13 [Earlier note] Earthy at edge, vibrant look; fresh and pretty perfume, violets and plums plus oak; faintest vegetal whiff; inky and intense palate with a hint of green. Chewy dry finish. Not the best by any measure. [92% Merlot and 8% Cabernet Franc] 84-86? April 2012
- 2010 Mid depth; some chalk and chocolate; feels a tad tired; thick palate with some spice and chocolate tones. 88 UGC 2012 [Earlier] Deep and saturated; quite solid nose, ripe and deep; but chunky on the palate, feels a bit extracted and tannic. Maybe not that well judged in terms of extraction? Certainly unsettled. 86?/100 6th April 2011 at UGC
- 2009 Deep red; earthy edge; plums, spices, herbs and menthol tones; oak too; pretty good effort from La Cabanne. Plummy fruit with spicy oak influence; chew and density. Second tier Pomerol obviously but good effort. 89+/100 UGC 2011 [Earlier] Mid depth; some intensity; soft, ripe and round; little complexity but fruit driven; Not unattractive. More old fashioned. Palate full, lacks interest. Tannins a little dusty and present. 86/100. Tasted 31st March 2010.
- 2007 Mid red; simple nose; gutsy slightly tannic palate; somewhat coarse tannin. 80-82/100