Address: 33500 Pomerol
Telephone: +33 (0)5 57 51 13 36
Château Beauregard maybe not in the top league in terms of the appellation, but it produces very enjoyable and well priced Pomerol and the 2009, 2010 and 2012 are very good here. Second wine is Le Benjamin de Beauregard. Things appear to have moved up a gear with the 2015 vintage, in part due to new ownership and investment. More on this soon.
Vineyard/Terroir: 17.5 hectares on clay gravel and sandy gravel planted with 70% Merlot and 30% Cabernet Franc.
Winemaking/Elévage: 16-22 months in French oak barrels
- 2015 Mid depth, ripe looking; perfumed and attractive Pomerol; lovely spice from the Cabernet Franc; Cab Franc currently dominates the palate; elegance and freshness but also texture. I like the wine. Funky and fresh. Great new cellar at Beauregard which is now also under new ownership. Hope the price doesn’t creep up, as this has traditionally been one of Pomerol’s good buys in the past. [75% Merlot, 25% Cabernet Franc, 13.8% alc]. Tasted UGCB 6/4/16. Drink 2020-2030. 91-93+
- 2014 Deepish; vibrant edge; clean fruit aromatics; plums and ripe cherry aromas; spicy; pretty fruit; some oak on the palate; needs to settle but the fruit is juicy and fragrant. Hint of jam too. Grip on the finish. [65% Merlot, 35% Cabernet Franc]. Drink 2019-2027. Tasted UGCB 1st April, 2015. 88-90
- 2013 Healthy colour; polished, pure and attractive; spices, some wood and purity; needs to meld a little on the palate; quite low key and not stretched. Elegant. Finishes OK. [80% Merlot, 20% Cabernet Franc]. Drink 2018-2024. Tasted UGCB April 2, 2014. 85-87
- 2012 Deepish; bright and high toned aromatics; fresh spices and plum tones; blackcurrant fruit; inky; nice chew to the palate with good balance between the fruit, structure and acidity. Sappy and vibrant Pomerol with plenty of flesh. [70% Merlot, 30% Cabernet Franc]. Drink 2015-2025. 89+ UGC Oct ’14 [Earlier note] Deep and dense looking; pretty thick nose; dark fruits; oak on the palate, perfume, spicy plum tones; spicy finish. Very good. 88-90 80% Merlot, 20% Cabernet Franc. Tasted at UGC 10 April 2013
- 2011 Mid depth; creamy blackcurrant tones; fresh stalky blackcurrants; needs more flesh on the palate but they have handled the fruit well – elegant with perfume. Drink 2014-2021. 87 UGC Oct ’13 [Earlier note] Mid colour, lightish; attractive fruit, some plums and spice, quite attractive; soft palate, some spice and perfume, plummy palate, elegant and not over extracted. Fresh, lightish and easy. Overall cooler and fresher, less saturated in colour and flavour than some but balanced and harmonious. [30% Cabernet Franc, 70% Merlot] 86-88+ UGC April‘12
- 2010 Deep and saturated looking; lovely creamy fruits on the nose; very enticing; more freshness here with some nicely perfumed Cabernet Franc; adds a spicy Menthol note to the aromatics; pure palate with creamy feel; lots of depth and substance; excellent wine. One of the best Beauregards I’ve tasted. Drink now-2030. 92+ MW Institute Nov ’14 [Earlier note] Deepish; spicy plum, fresh cherry; ripe spicy plum and blackcurrant characters on the palate; little leaf and menthol note; good chew and sap on the finish; appetizing. Medium bodied leafy blackcurrant/plum style. Nice and very drinkable. 90 UGC 2012 [Earlier] Deep and saturated; ripe, some rasiny notes; quite a thick style, little straightforward; goodish grip and some degree of freshness but lacks the flamboyance of the best 88-90/100 [65% Merlot, 35% Cabernet Franc, alc 14.6%] 6 April 2011 UGC
- 2009 Deep and saturated look; very ripe full notes; saturated with plums and Cabernet Franc ripeness; pretty big on the palate with lots of extract and spices; chewy and full. Drink now – 2025. 90 MW Institute Nov ’13 [Earlier note] Mid depth; very dense looking; warm spicy nose with lift; attractive methol, black fruits and plums; fat palate with very good depth; this is nice wine; maybe lacks a bit of complexity but is very full and a joy to drink. [70% Merlot, 30% Cabernet Franc]. Great value and best Beauregard I’ve had. 91+/100 UGC 2011 [Earlier] Mid red/black; quite dense; solid fruit nose, some sweetness; attractive; some red fruits and also minerals and chalk; palate quite taut and dense; nicely done with chocolate. Well balanced compared to the wines of St Emilion. Very good. [Later] Appealing fruit driven nose; some red fruits; attractive and violets. Will give lots of pleasure. Palate sweet entry and attractive.92+/100. Tasted 31st March 2010.
- 2008 Deep, opaque at centre; earthy mature claret feel [thank God]; leafy easy palate with some vibrancy and appeal. Nice chew and decent extract and fruit. No blockbuster but good. 88 MW Institute Nov 2012 [Earlier] Deep, up to the edge; some plums, fresh and fruit driven and quite open; some stalks blackcurrants too; ripe palate, quite intense with extract; some lift but layers to the palate. Overall a good wine with lots of extract and material here. This should age well. Impressive 90+/100 UGC 2010
- 2007 Deep and earthy looking; attractive leafy, tobacco and black fruits nose; blackcurrant, gum and leafy tones on the palate; some grip and tannin but this is an attractive effort. 88/100 MW Institute Nov ’11. [Earlier] Deep, quite deep; sturdy and attractive wine with good density; attractive palate with structure and substance. Not bad. Grippy wine on the more substantial side of Pomerol. 88+/100 UGC Oct ’09.