Address: 33460 Labarde-Margaux
Telephone: +33 (0)5 57 88 34 04
Château Siran is situated in the village of Labarde in the southern part of the Margaux appellation. It has been under the same family ownership [Mailhe] since 1859. Generally good value Margaux, Siran can be a bit hard in the cooler vintages. 2012 is a particular success for the vintage.
Vineyard/Soil: 25 hectares planted with 46% Merlot and 41% Cabernet Sauvignon and 11% Petit Verdot and 2% Cabernet Franc. Soils a mixture of pebbles and gravel. Hand picked into small crates. Fruit sorted at the winery. 2009 looks a safe bet here.
Winemaking/Elevage: Temperature controlled fermentation and malolactic in barrel. Aged in 40-50% new oak, depending on the vintage. Consulting winemaker is Hubert de Boüard.
- 2015 Deep and saturated looking; has life and vibrancy; creamy cherry and blackcurrant tones; some summer fruit compote; violet lift; nice creamy palate; some wood to integrate but plenty to get to grips with here; needs to fill out a fraction on the end but good fruit and structure. [55% Merlot, 38% Cabernet Sauvignon, 7% Petit Verdot, 14% alc]. Drink 2020-2030. 88-90
- 2014 Mid depth; purple rim; creamy blackcurrant fruit; ripe and full; ripe black cherry; palate full of fruit; black fruits; black cherry; extract and matter; little oak on the finish to integrate. Substantial effort. Textured. Edouard Miailhe compares it more to 2005 than 2009/2010. First vintage in which Hubert de Bouard has consulted. [53.5% Merlot, 38% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8.5% Petit Verdot. 13.5% alc, harvested 24 Sept-16 Oct]. Drink 2019-2030. Tasted 31 March, 2015 at UGC. 88-90+
- 2013 Mid depth; fresh blackcurrants; quite high toned style; quite acid and firm on the palate with a puckering finish. Acidity very obvious. Not a success this year. May round out a bit but acidity very pronounced.[55% Cabernet Sauvignon, 35% Merlot, 10% Petit Verdot]. Tasted UGCB April 2014. Drink 2017-2023. 82-84
- 2012 Healthy vibrant colour; attractive aromatics with some perfume; quite forward; little wet rock; full of fruit on the palate; attractive with a sturdy aspect; freshness; has vigour but also plenty of ripe fruit. A very good effort here. Drink 2016-2024. 89+ UGC Oct ’14 [Earlier note] Healthy looking; vibrant; violets, some perfume; some chalk; refined entry; cooler and fresher fruit; bit grippy and sappy but should come good; nice freshness and spice to the palate. Good length. Vigorous Margaux. 87-89. Tasted UGC Thursday April 11, 2013. [Earlier note] Mid depth; ripe, attractive fruit with perfume and a certain elegance; very good palate – ripe and lush; very attractive; some grip too but overall a very attractive and forward style. Very good supple and attractive offering from Siran. Good length and will be great value. 55% Merlot, 35% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Petit Verdot 13.4 degrees. 88-90. Tasted UGC Tuesday April 9, 2013.
- 2011 Mid depth; stalky nose with some dusty notes; dusty tannic Cabernet on the palate; some spice but very grippy and angular on the palate. Needs time but pretty joyless again for me. Drink 2016-2023. 85? UGC Oct ’13 [Earlier note] Deepish colour – vibrant edge; some blackcurrant and cassis – some stoney fruit; not without promise; blackcurrants and density on palate; fruit here but also acid and structure; life; quite vibrant and sappy. Could settle nicely. Little puckering at end. 87-88
- 2010 Deepish; some red fruits, wet stone; ripeness on the palate but lots of extract here and very sappy. Has plenty of material and plenty of acid. Needs time to settle. 87/100 [Earlier] Deep and saturated; some perfume and lift; cassis beneath; quite deep and plush; more violets on the palate; some tannin here, in fact pretty tannic and extracted on the palate; Probably will be ok 86-88/100 Tasted 5 April 2011 [Second tasting] Deep and dense; thick looking; cassis, blackcurrant, some coffee; big and ripe and with lots of extract and fruit. Extracted but fruit is there. Will round out. Pretty good. 87-88+/100 Tasted 7 April 2011 at UGC.
- 2009 Dense; quite saturated looking; pure, some mineral tones; menthol; palate feels pretty fat and deep; tannin too; maybe a little over-extracted in feel? Lots of fruit certainly and needs to settle. Good length but pretty tannic. 87-89?/100 [Earlier] Deep with good edge, vibrant; some floral elements; more violets; slightly lighter toned [coming after the Rauzan Segla in the en primeur tastings] – not super concentrated here; palate slightly spicy, pepper note with stalks; not that bad; fresh; quite high toned but will settle. 88+/100 [Second] Deep, dense; fresh nose, some violets but also bit of beetroot; lower octane here than the previous few; red fruits; very fresh palate; good perfume; more higher toned, Nicely done – quite attractive; extract and material. Tannins but they don’t dominate. Nice gentler more harmonious style. Very good. Knows it’s from Margaux. More settled than earlier sample 90+/100 Tasted 30th March and 1st April 2010.
- 2008 Mid red; some purple at edge; slightly stalky nots; some earth and roses with toast and savour; palate quite full, some stalkiness and some tannin, falls away a little in the middle; quite angular and some acid. 84/100
- 2007 Mid red; some stalky blackcurrants – but a rather raw, green tinge to the fruit. Tannic and angular. 82/100