Château La Tour Blanche
Address: 33210 Bommes
Telephone: +33 (0)5 57 98 02 73
Classified a Premier Cru in 1855 Château La Tour Blanche in Bommes can make superb Sauternes. The 2009 is potentially terrific. The property over looks a tributary of the Gironde, the river Ciron, ideal conditions to encourage the development of botrytis. Average production is 60000 bottles and the second wine is Les Charmilles de Tour Blanche.
Vineyard/Terrior: 40 hectares planted on gravel clay with siliceous limestone, comprising 83% Sémillon, 12% Sauvignon Blanc and 5% Muscadelle.
Winemaking/Elévage: Aged in 100% new oak barrels.
- 2013 Gold; some honey; creamy waxy tones; attractive; brioche and toast alongside the wax and peach notes on the palate; full and zappy with a very attractive creamy mouthfeel. [80% Sémillon, 10% Sauvignon Blanc, 10% Muscadelle]. Tasted UGCB 1/4/14. Drink 2018-2030. 92-94+
- 2012 Green/gold; some honey; cream; depth here; nice entry on the palate; quite appetizing; lightish but there is length and a touch of honey on the finish. 92% Sémillon, 5.5% Sauvignon Blanc, 2.5% Muscadelle. UGC April 11, 2013. 88-90
- 2011 Silver/gold in the glass; ripe and lush aromatics with peaches and honey notes; full palate with good acid and nice zip on the end. Drink now-2024. 92
- 2010 Pale straw; some grassy notes; ripe quite rich and thick on the palate. Lots of sweetness on the palate. Very big, sweet style. Tasted Oct ’12 at UGCB. 90 [Earlier note] Pale gold; fresh, some grass and hedgerow; honey; nice and elegant feel here; full palate, some wax and butter but pretty good; nice length; attractive; bite at end. Very good 90-92+/100 Tasted 5 April 2011 UGC.
- 2009 Light gold, soft, some lemon and fresh; lots of fruit here; good palate; sweet but balanced. Refreshing. Nice race and zip on the finish. 92+/100
- 2008 Mid gold; little wet wool and sémillon notes; quite thick on the palate with honey and apple notes and some wet wool again. Tasted Nov ’12 at MW Institute. 87
- 2007 Mid straw; toasty lifted nose; trace of volatility; brioche notes; broad palate quite mature style. Burn note son the finish. Tasted June ’13 at Mouton 1855 dinner Vinexpo. 88+ [Earlier note] Mid straw; fresh, some honeysuckle; elegant. 86-88/100 UGC tasting Oct ‘09