Address: 33210 Sauternes
Telephone: +33 (0)5 56 76 61 09
This second growth Sauternes is widely available in the UK. Château Filhot doesn’t have the power and the complexity of the finest wines though it is usually a bit cheaper. That said the 2001 was impressive, the 2009 very good and the 2011 excellent. Their 2013, tasted in April 2014, was rather backward.
Vineyard/Terrior: 60 hectares planted with 60% Sémillon, 36% Sauvignon Blanc and 4% Muscadelle.
Winemaking/Elévage: Fermentation in stainless steel and aged for two to three years in barrel and in vat.
- 2013 Vivid gold; wet wool; some fruit and honey; palate little dumb. Needs to emerge. [60% Sémillon, 36% Sauvignon Blanc, 4% Muscadelle]. Tasted UGCB 1/4/14. Drink 2017-2022. 85-86.
- 2012 Pale straw; wet wool; apples some burnt toffee; more wet wool on the palate; spikey. 60% Sémillon, 36% Sauvignon Blanc, 4% Muscadelle. UGC April 11, 2013. 83-85
- 2011 Deep and golden; high toned and quite floral and fruity; some grass too; bite here on the palate, apples; sweetness too. Pretty good effort. Tasted April ’12 UGCB. 89-91.
- 2010 Pale straw; little reductive and wet dog, wool; attractive palate with good balance and nice acid. Nicely done. 88+/100 Tasted 5 April 2011 UGC.
- 2009 Fresh, some grass and honey; little wet dog on palate; medium sweet. Easy and attractive. UGC A[ril 2010. 88-90/100
- 2001 Youthful straw; fine citrusy nose with botrytis; elegance and power here; will age very well. Nice refreshing acid at end. Very good. 90+/100 Nov 05
- 1999 Golden, quite clean nose; fairly straightforward. Simple. 83/100
- 1990 Deep gold; lots of VA on nose masking fruit and bot; palate rich and quite easy; bit clumsy. Lacks complexity. Bad storage? 85/100 Dec ‘98