Address: 33720 Barsac
Telephone: +33 (0)5 56 27 15 13
Second growth from Haut-Barsac area, Château Doisy-Védrines tends to be a bit fatter and richer than Château Doisy Daëne but perhaps has marginally less finesse. Nevertheless this is a delicious and enjoyable Barsac. Second wine Château Petit-Védrines. 2011 looks especially strong here.
Vineyard/Terrior: 27 hectares on clay limestone soils planted with 80% Sémillon, 15% Sauvignon Blanc and 5% Muscadelle.
Winemaking/Elevage: Light pressing here followed by ageing in 40-60% new oak barrels depending on the vintage.
- 2013 Pale silver with green hints; some wax and citrus tones; nicely fruit driven; candy; waxy, full palate with some creamy botrytis notes; very attractive overall; some sweetness on the finish. Tasted UGCB 1/1/14. Drink 2017-2025. 90-92
- 2012 Pale green/gold; quite elegant; classic almost; fresh tones with some grapefruit and citrus notes; creamy palate with some sweetness; quite tight and overall feeling of a very good effort in the circumstances. 80% Sémillion, 20% Sauvignon Blanc. UGC April 11, 2013. 88-90
- 2011 Deep green/gold; peaches and cream tones; very full and forward; lots of layers of flavour on the palate; peaches, apricots; very good indeed; feels pretty sweet and has real viscosity and weight. Big. Drink now – 2026. Tasted Oct ’13 at UGCB. 92+ [Earlier note] Pale straw; full; almost thick; strong and unctuous; layers of ripe flavours; rich style; big; maybe lacks a little bit of zip but a wonderful effort. Tasted April ’12 at UGCB. 92-94+
- 2010 Palate gold; fresh, apricot and honey notes; botrytis tones; some lift; quite thick and rich on the palate; lots of honeyed fruit flavours. Lacks the race and balance of Doisy Daene – fuller, sweeter style. Tasted Oct ’12 at UGCB. 90+[Earlier note] Pale straw; some green tinges; fresh; some grass and candy; alive; feels elegant and racy; lively palate. Quite fat, sweet and full on the palate. 89-91+/100 Tasted 5 April 2011 UGC.
- 2009 Pale straw; lemon, clean, light honey; perfume on the palate, pretty; very good. 90+/100 March ‘10
- 2007 Gold; fresh; fruit driven aromatics with grapefruit tones; zesty and ctrus tones on the palate; elegance and zap. Fresh style. Tasted June ’13 at Mouton 1855 dinner Vinexpo. 89+[Earlier note] Gold; more lifted; real lemon tones and race alongside a VA whiff; sweet on palate with fatness and goodish length. Nov ’11 at MW Institute. 88+/100 [Earlier note] Mid straw/gold; clean; some honey and butter with some resin and lift; pure, elegant but also quite round. Good 88+/100 UGC tasting Oct ‘09
- 2005 Gold; legs; very attractive Barsac; some creamy peaches and apricots; some spice and vanilla; mid-weight but perfectly balanced with appealing acidity; ripe and very well balanced. Honey on the finish. Very good. 89-90/100 Sept ‘09