Château de Rayne Vigneau
Address: 33210 Bommes
Telephone: +33 (0)5 56 11 29 00
Château de Rayne Vigneau is a large Premier Cru from the commune of Bommes in Sauternes that has a fine reputation and a great location. Since the property’s acquisition by Crédit Agricole Grands Crus in 2004 the wine has gone from strength to strength. The 2009-2011 trio are excellent and 2013 looks very promising indeed. I had Rayne-Vigneau ‘Gold’ 2005 – a super cuvée tasted during Vinexpo 2013. It was quite brilliant.
Vineyard/Terrior: 80 hectares on a sandy gravel soil atop a clay base. Vineyard comprises 80% Sémillon and 20% Sauvignon.
Winemaking/Elévage: The wine is aged in oak barrels, 50% new each year, for approximately 24 months
- 2013 Pale straw; full and rich with some attractive fragrant tones; apricot and wax notes on the palate; full and attractive palate with lots of length. Very attractive and impressive effort. [80% Sémillon, 20% Sauvignon Blanc]. Tasted 1/4/14 UGCB & 31/3/14 at Ch Meyney. Drink 2018-2028. 92-94+
- 2012 Pale straw/washed green; nice creamy tones; feels there is depth; peachy fruit; palate has honey and cream; nice sweetness and feels balanced. Elegant and good effort for the vintage. 80% Sémillon, 20% Sauvignon Blanc. UGC April 11, 2013. 88-90+ [Earlier note] Pale green/gold; attractive nose; fine and elegant; honeycomb; mid-weight palate; some length and feels a very good effort. Tasted at Chateau Meyney April 11, 2013. 88-90+
- 2011 Golden; zesty citrus tones, grapefruit and guava; zesty and racy palate with verve and elegance. Nice acidity here which keeps it fleet of foot. Drink now-2026. Tasted UGCB Oct ’13. 92 [Earlier note] Pale straw; more citrus and honeycomb notes; lots of cream; quite fat, big wine; some citrus notes and orange peel. Very good. Tasted UGCB April ’12. 92-94+
- 2010 Pale green/gold; some creamy botrytis, apricots, rich and layered with acacia honey notes; quite big and round on the palate with lots of sweetness. Rich style but with plenty of fruit. Sweet on the finish. Tasted Oct ’12 at UGCB. 92+[Earlier note] Pale gold; fresh, some grass and hedgerow; honey at the back; nice and firm palate with good acid and life. Feels really good 90-92/100 Tasted 5 April 2011 UGC [Second tasting] Golden straw; butter and wax, some botrytis; cream and honey; attractive; sweet palate, ripe and creamy with butter and honey notes; good density and richness. Excellent 91-93/100 Tasted 8 April at Chateau Meyney.
- 2009 Ripeness on the nose; honey and butter; fresh butterscotch and honey; this is interesting; very good here. Very good and refreshing. 92+/100
Gold de Rayne Vigneau
This is an exceptional cuvée of Rayne Vigneau, 100% Semillon and aged for 24 months in oak. Only around 700 bottles and 500 half bottles produced.
- 2005 Mid gold; delicious medley of fruits notes – apricot, peach and white flower notes; great balance and depth on the palate; deceptively easy with a long finish. Very exciting wine. Tasted June ’13 at Rayne-Vigneau. 96+/100