Address: 33210 Preignac
Telephone: +33 (0)5 56 62 36 86
The beautiful Château de Malle here dates back to 1540. Classified as a second growth Château de Malle produces very good Sauternes that are reasonably well priced. Average production 40-50,000 bottles each year and the second wine is Sainte-Helene du Château de Malle. 2009 looks a very strong vintage here.
Vineyard/Terrior: 27 hectares on light sandy and gravel soils planted with 69% Semillon, 28% Sauvignon Blanc and 3% Muscadelle.
Winemaking/Elévage: Aged in oak barrels, one third new each year.
- 2013 Pale green/gold; enticing; pure nose; with botrytis notes; quite elegant; with citrus and grapefruit; quite full but with good tension; nice finish and vibrant acidity. Elegant and refreshing. [Harvest 26/9-17/10, 68% Sémillon, 32% Sauvignon Blanc]. Tasted UGCB 1/4/14. Drink 2017-2028. 90-92+
- 2012 Green gold; some wax and a little butter; palate elegant and poised with sweetness. Fine and good length. Refreshing. Good effort. 75% Sémillon, 25% Sauvignon Blanc. UGC April 11, 2013. 87-89+
- 2011 Pale gold; some grass, apples; feels fresh; botrytis here but not over-the-top; palate full yet elegant; some spiky acidity; apples and grass almost floral notes; this is elegant but wonderfully refined. 64% Semillon, 36% Sauvignon Blanc. 90-92 Tasted UGCB April ‘12
- 2010 Pale straw gold; some wax, quite fresh, some oak; sauvignon notes – herbs and grass; very floral and pretty; nice mid-weight style and elegant and racy palate. 89-91/100 [Semillon 78%, Sauvignon Blanc 22% with tiny fraction of Muscadelle] Tasted 5 April 2011 UGC.
- 2009 Light gold; some butterscotch; clean; fresh; very elegant but with depth here. Should be very good. 90-92+/100