Address: 33720 Barsac
Telephone: +33 (0)5 56 27 15 46
Château Coutet is a famous Premier Cru Classé in Barsac that vies with Château Climens as the best wine of the appellation. Owned by Philippe and Dominique Baly. Coutet ages superbly. The second wine is La Chartreuse de Coutet.
Vineyard/Terrior: 38.5 hectares on clay limestone soil planted with 75% Sémillon, 23% Sauvignon Blanc and 2% Muscadelle.
Winemaking/Elévage: Grapes pressed three times in vertical basket presses. The wine is then aged for 18 months in new oak barrels.
- 2013 Pale gold; some fresh grapefruit tones; little reticent aromatically; full palate with attractive waxy tones; round on the finish. Attractive effort if a little subdued on the day. Expect this to uncoil. Tasted UGCB 1/4/14. Drink 2018-2030. 91-93
- 2012 Deepish straw; honeycomb note; ginger; sweet palate; some biscuit tones; more sweetness than some though sample lacks a bit of zing. Good length. 75% Sémillon, 20% Sauvignon Blanc. UGC April 11, 2013. 88-90
- 2011 Golden; full aromatics – botrytis tones and citrus highlights; peaches and cream on the palate with a wonderful mouthfeel; very nice tension between the sweetness and the acid. Mid depth. Wonderful Barsac. Very good length. 94+[Earlier note] Brilliant pale gold; full and substantial; botrytis, cream and honey; citrus notes too; concentrated and very creamy in texture; quite fat and sweet; rich vintage. 93-95+ Tasted UGCB April ‘12
- 2010 Fresh looking green/gold; exquisite nose of creamy botrytis, honey and apricot too; layers and layers to the nose; intense palate; some apricots and desiccated fruit notes; layers again here; very fine palate with excellent length and intensity. Tasted Oct ’12 at UGCB. 95+[Earlier note] Pale gold with hint of green; full bodied nose; powerful; botrytis and honey; palate fresh and stromg with good acid; feels fresh and not wallowing in sugar. Wonderful. 94-96+/100 Tasted 5 April 2011 UGC
- 2009 Lemon straw; elegant nose; honey and lemon, attractive wine good mouth feel and balance. Excellent. 92+/100 March ‘10
- 2007 Mid gold; lots of fat, creamy botrytis on the nose; layers; grapefruit zest too with wax; fat and creamy palate – very impressive. Weighty. Tasted June ’13 at Mouton 1855 dinner Vinexpo. 93+[Earlier note] Mid gold; more apple and freshness with some botrytis; clean and very elegant. Good. 88-90/100 UGC tasting Oct ‘09
- 1975 Golden; rich; full bodied; sweet with botrytis; not complex or elegant but big; great palate intense; much more middle. Excellent 93/100 Apr ‘96