Address: 33210 Preignac
Telephone: +33 (0)5 56 63 27 66
Château Bastor-Lamontagne has for a long while provided excellent value and exceptionally well made Sauternes. Established on 56 hectares in the commune of Preignac the chateau takes its name from the councilor in the Bordeaux parliament, Chevalier de la Montaigne, who established the property in 1711. Second wines here are Les Remparts de Bastor and Caprice de Bastor-Lamontage. 100-120,000 bottles produced.
Vineyard/Terrior: 56 hectares on clay gravel and siliceous gravel planted with 80% Semillon, 17% Sauvignon Blanc and 3% Muscadelle.
Winemaking/Elévage: Part barrel ferment, part fermentation in stainless steel, the wine is then aged for 16 months in oak barrels, 30% of which are new.
- 2013 Pale silver/gold; pungent aromatics; spicey; some honey alongside lime and lemon; some creamy notes; nice weight in the mouth; creamy and attractive with very nice balance and acidity. [99% Semillon, 1% Muscadelle]. Tasted UGCB 1/4/14. Drink 2018-2025. 90-91+
- 2012 Palest straw; waxy tones; some flint; lightly sweet. 80% Sémillon, 20% Sauvignon Blanc. UGC April 11, 2013. 84-86
- 2011 Pale gold; honey and fresh citrus notes; spices and ginger tones; elegant palate with nice race and good balance. Very good effort. Drink now-2023. 90+[Earlier note] Pale straw; gold; hint of green; some citrus and sherbert notes; crisp; less fab than de Fargues but that’s unfair. Fresh lemony palate with grass. Nice race and acid. Very good effort. Acid and sweetness nicely balanced. 90-92+Tasted UGCB April ‘12
- 2010 Mid green/gold; some apple tones; wet wool; freshness; quite elegant palate with good acid. Mid weight style. Tasted Oct ’12 at UGCB. 88+[Earlier note] Pale gold; some cream and butter but quite simple; quite full but lacks complexity; waxy, full and simple 86-88/100 Tasted 5 April 2011 UGCB.
- 2009 Pale gold; ripe nose; some honey, some citrus; very nicely done; some apple; attractive palate, medium weight. 88-90/100 March ‘10
- 2007 Pale gold; clean, slightly taut and fresh; some Semillon notes; medium sweet and fresh. Good. 88-90+/100 UGC tasting Oct ‘09
- 2001 – pale straw; wonderful nose of peaches and cream, honey; really well balanced palate; botrytis; sweet but good balancing acidity. Excellent 18.5/20 90+/100
- 1995 – yellow/orange; slightly maderized Tokaj like nose with crème brulee and marmalade – creamy on palate, sweet and a little cloying as lacks acid. Possibly badly stored example. 82?/100 Sept 04